Saturday, May 15, 2010

I did it!

I rode a bicycle from my flat to my office. I know it doesn't sound like that big of a deal as it is only about a 20 minute ride, but if you had to do it on the road with the cars, motorbikes, buses, trolleys and trams you would be pretty proud of yourself! The cobblestones - small and large - are a bit painful on a bike, but all part of the experience. It only took me 8 months to get the courage to try - now I ride a bicycle everywhere :)!

The Iceland ash-cloud is really screwing with the weather here so I think I'm going to miss out on my first Italian spring. I'm not looking forward to the scorching hot summer, but I am looking forward to the sun coming out again! The entire month of May has been gray and rainy... apparently due to the volcano eruptions.

So over the past few weeks I've had a lot of flat related issues... again. First, after they "fixed the leak" i.e. painting over the water stains earlier this month. In that same week a technician came out to fix my shower. Then, two days later my washing machine stopped working. Mind you the washing machine is ancient and nearly fossilized. Regardless, my Italian landlord insisted that a technician come in to look at it. Now the washing machine works on only one setting and I have to hit the top of it anytime is starts "having problems". What the heck does that mean???

And now, surprise surprise, the leak... and stains are back.

Anyway - I'm finally getting used to the mentality and approach to things out there... still don't understand them, but now I can at least anticipate whats coming.

Other things I've learned:

Italians like to practice their English with Americans more than the British. The British have the reputation of being "snobs" (thier words, not mine) here. Its funny because I get it... I understand why the Britians get this reputation. Americans would probably have the same reputation if there were more of us out here for longer than two weeks at a time. The biggest attraction Italians have to me is that I'm a native English speaker and they automatically want to practice their English with me. It gets pretty annoying... its just like someone only liking you for your money or what you have to offer. No one is really looking to "get to know you".

Sun-bathing in public parks is a very common thing here. Normally this wouldn't be an exciting topic of conversation but what makes it different is that a lot of the men take off all their clothes (except underware) and lay-out. Again, not too surprising, except that I'm finding most Italian men wear speedos, and I'm sure we all agree that only a small percentage of people in the world can pull off a speedo... Women are also laying out - but usually with shorts and tank-tops.

A quick update on my previous "maids" post:
I'm finding that they are VERY common and apparently I'm crazy for not having one! They are very inexpensive so just about everyone I've met has a maid come at least 1/wk.

Alora, manco molto tutto e eccitato ci vediamo in Augosto!
I miss everyone very much and excited to see you in August.

Ciao!
Jme

No comments:

Post a Comment